Your cart is empty.
Männedorf, Switzerland, 15 July 2003. Tecan, a leader in the Life Sciences laboratory automation industry and EMD Biosciences, Inc., a leading provider of advanced reagents for molecular biology and proteomics research through its Novagen® brand, today announced an agreement to co-market a series of automated solutions for medium-to-high throughput protein extraction, screening, and purification.
The collaborative effort between Tecan and EMD Biosciences has produced a high-performance platform for automating the tedious, time-consuming steps traditionally associated with manual methods of sample preparation, screening, and purification for recombinant proteins. Combined with Novagen proprietary reagent kits, Tecan's Genesis and Freedom EVO® Workstations afford users a turn-key, high-throughput solution for protein purification using His·Tag® and GST·Tag technologies. As part of the collaboration, Tecan and EMD Biosciences have created an integrated Technical Applications Team, thereby ensuring a seamless, comprehensive level of post-sale technical support and streamlined integration into existing laboratory workflows.
"The development of automated platforms for recombinant protein purification, in conjunction with Novagen reagents, represents a major addition to Tecan's proteomics product offerings. By working with a leader in protein biochemistry reagents, we have been able to provide powerful automation solutions that address many of the key bottlenecks associated with protein biochemistry research," remarked Jan Timmers, Head of Business Areas Biopharma and Clinical Diagnostics at Tecan.
"We are very pleased to be working with Tecan, a worldwide leader in robotics and liquid handling, to develop an automated system for recombinant protein purification. This collaboration will provide a complete, optimized combination of instrumentation, reagents, and protocols that will facilitate rapid progress in proteomics research," stated Dr. Robert Mierendorf, Chief Technology Officer, EMD Biosciences.
The validated protocols will enable users to purify proteins in 96-well microplate format with either vacuum filtration or magnetic bead separation methods. Using the integrated Tecan GENios Plus microplate reader, recombinant protein expression and solubility screening assays may also be conducted.
The Novagen RoboPop System is uniquely suited for automated protein purification because it eliminates the need for centrifugation and enables the entire process from cell growth through purification to be performed in one deep-well plate. The kits feature PopCulture Reagent, rLysozyme Solution, and Benzonase® Nuclease for efficient extraction of intact proteins from total cultures, plus His·Mag or GST·Mag Agarose Beads and corresponding buffers for high-capacity magnetic affinity purification. For solubility screening prior to the purification step, the FRETWorks S·Tag Assay Kits (Novagen) are ready to use on Tecan's Genesis Freedom® workstations.
Tecan's industry-proven Genesis and Genesis Freedom® robotic liquid handling platforms have been collectively serving major pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies the world over for more than 20 years. The fully integrated systems are capable of automating all protein sample preparation and extraction steps, solid-phase and magnetic-based affinity purification protocols, and expression and solubility screening procedures. These liquid handling devices offer various deck configurations to accommodate all Tecan processing modules, Novagen RoboPop plates, Magnetight Separation Stand, reagents, and labware consumables as required.
About EMD Biosciences
EMD Biosciences, Inc., an affiliate of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, provides a broad range of innovative life science research products to the worldwide scientific community through its product brands Calbiochem, Novagen, Novabiochem, and Oncogene Research Products. With more than 34,500 employees in 53 countries, the Merck Group generated sales of EUR 7.5 billion in 2002. Founded in 1668 in Darmstadt, Germany, the company aims to be a world leader within its core businesses of pharmaceuticals and chemicals. The Merck Group strongly believes the key to its long-term business success is innovative products created by entrepreneurial and talented employees. Merck groups its operating activities under Merck KGaA, in which the Merck family holds 74% and the remaining 26% is publicly traded. The former U.S. subsidiary, Merck & Co., has been a completely independent company since 1917.
For more information, contact EMD Biosciences, 441 Charmany Drive, Madison, WI 53719, USA; Telephone: (800) 526-7319 (U.S. & Canada only) or (608) 238-6110; Fax (608) 238-1388. Website: www.novagen.com
Manager Marketing Communications and Branding
Tel.: +41 (0)44 922 81 11
Fax: +41 (0)44 922 82 81
Tel.: +1 (608) 442-4004
e-mail : email@example.com